Friday, September 12, 2008

New College



Classes here at New College started about two weeks ago. Between taking a few too many classes and living in rather tight living quarters it has been exhausting. I am taking Advanced German, Contemporary French History, Carolingian Empire, Politics of the EU, Transitions from War to Peace, and American Wars and Peacemaking as well as fencing and Pilates.

Some classes are better than others. American Wars and Peacemaking is a seminar taught by a retired professor who spends the three hours rambling. It is pretty painful. The class is also right after my Politics of the EU course leaving no time for lunch and it ends 15 minutes before fencing, which leaves little time for an early dinner.

With my course load my adviser (Dr. Harvey) is recommending a 4 out of 6 contract, which does take some of the stress off; there is somewhat of a rush to finish the requirements of my double major so that in the next few months I will be able to solidify my baccalaureate thesis prospectus. Right now my idea is to write it on the rise of Germanic Neopaganism. Dr. Harvey specializes in France and Germany and has written books on French occultism so I hope that he will be able to help me out. Unfortunately he hasn't offered his course on Magic, Mysticism and Modernity in the past few years.

As it turns out I have no classes on Fridays which means I have a three day weekend every week. Sometimes it is awfully nice to be able to get off of campus for a few days.

No comments: